onsdag den 1. juni 2011

Sense and Sensibility - Marvel

If anyone was reading this blog, I am sure that you would have given up on me by now...

I have not given up on the Sense and Sensibility challenge. I was simply challenged by the Sense and Sensibility comic from Marvel. As I do not want to give up on reading the books in this challenge, I have been forcing myself to finish this, before starting my next subject - a film.

The Marvel comic of Sense and Sensibility have been adapted by Nancy Butler and Sonny Liew. The storyline follows the book closely and most of the text in the comic is taken directly from Jane Austens book. It might surprise then that I found it so hard to get through. I love Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. However, if I want to read Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, I will read Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and not by Nancy Butler and Sonny Liew.

Generally what I like about adaptations are that they are in some ways an interpretation of the book - a good example are the different ways that Mr. Bennet is played in the different adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. When I watch Pride and Prejudice from 2005, I get a new view on Mr. Bennet. That way the adaptation ads to my appreciation of the book. Sometimes I might not agree - I am no Mr. Bennet fan and do not agree with Donald Sutherlands Mr. Bennet, but I did make me think about the character of Mr. Bennet.

I have a hard time imagining anyone not agreeing with the Marvel adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, simply because I cannot see when it ads. The pictures are lovely if you like that style - personally I am more of a Disney Princesses kind of girl, but I can see how other people like them. However I generally did not really feel that the pictures were good for anything, they just made the reading more difficult as Jane Austens lovely words had to fit into bubbles...

I love the idea of making Jane Austens books into comics. I am very happy that Marvel is doing so, I even somewhat enjoyed Pride and Prejudice, but I supposed that comics are just not for me. If you love comics go ahead, why not. However if you love Jane Austen, I would recommend that you simply read Jane Austen.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar